Information About Parent-Teacher Meetings and Report Cards
Last year at Banff Elementary School we changed the timing of report cards and parent-teacher-student meetings. In the past, report cards went home first, then parents and teachers met. Now parents, teachers, and students meet first, then report cards are sent home approximately one month later.
- For kindergarten parent-teacher-student meetings will occur October 17, 18, and 19, with report cards to follow on November 23. Your teacher will contact you to schedule your meeting time
- For grade 1, parent-teacher-student meetings will be held the week of November 19 – 23, with report cards going home at the time of the interview. Your teacher will contact you to schedule your meeting time.
- Grades 2 – 6 parent-teacher-student meetings will occur October 18 and 19, with report cards to follow on November 23. You will receive an e-mail from the school about how to book your meeting time using our online system.
In most grades this means that the parent-teacher-student meetings may focus on:
- where your child is in relation to what is generally expected of a student in their grade
- a discussion of the Habits of Mind that your child is working on
- a discussion of a personal and class goal and what your child can do to work towards it.
During the time between your child’s meeting and the report card, your child will be working towards the learning targets and goals set at the beginning of the year and discussed in the meeting. Assessment of student progress towards these goals requires more observation and planning, and the additional time between the meeting and report card gives teachers more opportunities to observe student progress such targets. Most importantly we hope that this will give your child a deeper understanding of how they learn, making learning targets – and how to achieve them – more meaningful.
Please note that additional meetings will not be scheduled in November when report cards go home: as with other times in the year, meetings can be arranged at a teacher’s or parent’s request to address specific concerns.
If you have questions or suggestions about this process please feel free to speak with the principal during your time at the school or make an appointment for a time that is convenient for you.